Thursday, April 9, 2020

TheList 5265



The List 5265 TGB


Good Wednesday Morning April 8 to all. A bit of history and some tidbits. More later today.

Regards

Skip

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN



Today in Naval History

April 8

1823

The barges USS Mosquito, USS Gallinipper, and sloop-of-war Peacock chase the pirate schooner, Pilot, which is driven ashore off Havana, Cuba.

1848

The first U.S. flag is flown over the Sea of Galilee when Lt. William F. Lynch sails in an iron boat up the Jordan River. He later authors a book, Narrative of the United States' Expedition to the River Jordan and the Dead Sea.

1925

Lt. John D. Price, piloting a VF-1 plane, makes a night landing on USS Langley (CV 1), at sea off San Diego, Calif., the first on board a U.S. Navy carrier.

1944

USS Seahorse (SS 304) and USS Trigger (SS 237) successfully attack a Japanese convoy off Guam, damaging a Japanese destroyer and a tanker.

1961

USS Laffey (DD 724) and USS Tanner (AGS-15) assist in rescue work and firefighting after the British passenger liner Dara catches fire in the Persian Gulf.



Thanks to CHINFO

Executive Summary:

• Numerous outlets reported on Acting Secretary Modly's resignation.

• USNI News reports that USNS Comfort is now prepared to treat up to 500 patients infected with COVID-19.

• USS Nimitz became the fourth aircraft carrier with a confirmed case of COVID-19, multiple outlets report.

• Navy Times reports that the first crew member on USNS Comfort tested positive for COVID-19.



This Day in World History April 8
1789 The U.S. House of Representatives holds its first meeting.

1832 Some 300 American troops of the 6th Infantry leave Jefferson Barracks, St. Louis, to confront the Sauk Indians in what would become known as the Black Hawk War.

1864 In the Battle of Mansfield, Louisiana, Federals are routed by Confederate Gen. Richard Taylor.

1865 General Robert E. Lee's retreat is cut off near Appomattox Court House.

1898 British General Horatio Kitchener defeats the Khalifa, leader of the dervishes in Sudan, at the Battle of Atbara.

1913 The 17th Amendment is ratified, requiring direct election of senators.

1935 The Works Progress Administration (WPA) is approved by Congress.

1939 Italy invades Albania.

1942 The Soviets open a rail link to the besieged city of Leningrad.

1952 President Truman orders the seizure of U.S. steel mills to prevent a strike.

1962 Bay of Pigs invaders get thirty years imprisonment in Cuba.

1974 Hank Aaron hits his 715th home run, breaking Babe Ruth's record.

1975 Frank Robinson of the Cleveland Indians becomes first black manager of a major league baseball team.



NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

From Andrews' Raiders to the Escadrille Americaine by W. Thomas Smith Jr.

This Week in American Military History:

Apr. 11, 1783: British forces having been defeated in the former colonies, the Congress of the Confederation (the post-Continental Congress precursor to the U.S. Congress) declares a "cessation of arms" between the U.S. and Great Britain.

A portion of the declaration reads: "…we hereby strictly Charge and Command all our Officers, both by Sea and Land, and others, Subjects of these United States, to Forbear all Acts of Hostility, either by Sea or by Land, against His Britannic Majesty or his Subjects, from and after the respective Times agreed upon between their Most Christian and Britannic Majesties as aforesaid."



Apr. 11, 1951: Pres. Harry S. Truman relieves Gen. Douglas MacArthur of command of U.S. and United Nations forces in Korea, replacing MacArthur with Gen. Matthew Ridgway.

Truman fires MacArthur for reasons centered around the president's desire for a limited war in Korea; MacArthur's insistent, outspoken desire to expand the war (which Truman feared would lead to a third world war); and a personality clash between the two men making it difficult for the president to control his subordinate general. In eight days, MacArthur – a Medal of Honor recipient and one of America's greatest generals – will address a joint session of Congress and utter the now-famous line, "old soldiers never die; they just fade away."



Apr. 12, 1861: Confederate Brig. Gen. Pierre G.T. Beauregard's artillery forces – strategically positioned around Charleston harbor, S.C. – open fire on Union-held Fort Sumter (constructed atop shoals at the harbor entrance). Unable to effectively return fire and with his position indefensible, Union Army Maj. Robert Anderson will surrender the fort: The garrison will be evacuated on the 14th. The firing on Fort Sumter is considered to be the opening engagement of the Civil War. Technically it is; though shots were fired in January by militia batteries – including a battery manned by cadets of the Citadel (the Military College of South Carolina) – on the U.S. commercial paddlesteamer "Star of the West" in Charleston harbor.



Apr. 12, 1862: Andrews' Raiders – an ad hoc Union Army commando force (22 Ohio Infantrymen led by civilian spy James J. Andrews) – commandeer a Confederate train at Big Shanty, Georgia during an operation aimed at disrupting the rail-line between Atlanta and Chattanooga. Following a dramatic pursuit known today as "the Great Locomotive Chase,"

the raiders will be caught. Many will escape. Eight of them, including Andrews, will be convicted of espionage and executed. Nineteen of the raiders will be awarded the Medal of Honor (many of them posthumously). Six will become the first-ever recipients of the Medal of Honor.



Apr. 16, 1916: The Escadrille Americaine – a group of volunteer American pilots flying for the French military air service – is established. The Escadrille Americaine will become known as the Escadrille Lafayette (also Lafayette Escadrille), and in 1918 it will be absorbed into the 103rd Pursuit Squadron of the new U.S. Army Air Service.



Apr. 16, 1986: Several hours before dawn – on the 70th birthday of the Escadrille Americaine – U.S. Air Force and Navy warplanes roar into Libyan airspace and begin a series of blistering airstrikes against military and terrorist targets.

Code-named El Dorado Canyon, the attacks are in retaliation for Libyan-leader Col. Muammar Qaddafi's direct involvement in terrorist attacks against Americans worldwide.

The U.S. operation is built around two primary strike groups: U.S. Air Force F-111 fighter-bombers based in the United Kingdom, and carrier-based

A-6 Intruders, A-7 Corsairs, and F/A-18 Hornets from USS America and USS Coral Sea operating in the Mediterranean with F-14 Tomcats flying combat air patrol over the carriers.

In his post-attack address to the nation, Pres. Ronald Reagan says, "Today we have done what we had to do. If necessary, we shall do it again."



Apr. 17, 1847: U.S. Army forces under the command of Gen. Winfield Scott outmaneuver, drive from a superior position, inflict heavy losses, and decisively defeat a numerically superior Mexican Army under Gen. Antonio López de Santa Anna at Cerro Gordo.



Apr. 17, 1961: More than 1,500 CIA-trained and financed Cuban freedom fighters – members of Brigade 2506 or "Brigada Asalto" – hit the beach at several points along the Cuban coastline including the Bay of Pigs (Bahia de Cochinos), while nearly 180 "Free Cuba" paratroopers begin landing north of the beachhead. The goal is to overthrow the communist regime of Fidel Castro But myriad problems – including inadequate reconnaissance, a failure of the locals to rise up in support of the landings, and too much tactical interference from Washington – quickly doom the effort. Sealing the fate of the landing forces is Pres. John F. Kennedy's refusal to authorize promised American air and naval gunfire support. Though a stain on American politics, the courage exhibited by the participating Americans and free Cubans will prove to be exemplary. The operation exists today as a textbook example of how not to win.



NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Low passes from Dr. Rich Turn the sound up Yahoooo





https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz1hhx8yxyU





NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Thanks to DR

From a FEDEX buddy down the street.



From:

Subject: Re: From a FedEx pilot

Date: April 7, 2020 at 6:33:38 AM PDT



I got that the other day. I don't have a clue who that may be, but I'm not seeing the same thing he did?

Our local FedEx delivery guy told me two days ago that this is like Christmas peak, without the extra help. So, I'm not sure why he thinks we've "slowed severely domestically"?

I've been back and forth to Asia too many times in the last three months. I have yet to see, approach, tower and ground on one freq. It's always been separate. I've been to Shanghai at least 6 times, Beijing once, Guangzhou three times, Osaka and Narita, etc. The freight ramp at Shanghai was the busiest I've ever seen.

If he says he was on the last flight back on United, mostly with United employees, they would have been sitting in business class if it were that empty. That doesn't make sense. Yes, most commercial flights I've been on have been mostly empty.

I have yet to see an airport with only two people in it. Yes, pretty slow, but not like that. And I go through in the middle of the night?

I've seen plenty of aircraft airborne, although yes, there's less.

Not one of those airports have I seen down to one runway because of parked jets on the others? Maybe I'm not paying attention, but I don't think I'd miss that.

I'll grant him the last two sentences are right on! FedEx has been awesome!

Cheers, Norm

PS. Back to Guangzhou this Saturday.



NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Thanks to Bart

Honor Blackman - Obit

A sad day indeed..............................

Subject: Honor Blackman - Obit

Say it ain't so!!! Pussy Galore is no more!!!



https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/apr/06/honor-blackman-obituary



NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN



When I was young I read "30 Seconds over Tokyo ' and saw the old Black and white movie of that name. As I got older I realized just what that mission did for our country at a time right after Pearl Harbor when we were not doing well. It gave the country a tremendous shot in the arm and on the other side it shocked the Japanese and caused them to bring more assets closer to the home islands.



https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2019/04/09/a-legend-passes-dick-cole-last-of-the-doolittle-raiders-dies-at-103/



A legend passes: Dick Cole, last of the Doolittle Raiders, dies at 103

By: Stephen Losey



NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Thanks to Carl

This is very clever!!



Perhaps you have already seen this. I am not a facebook participant. I thought it was clever.

Someone posted this on Facebook:

Just be careful because people are going crazy from being in lock down! Actually I've just been talking about this with the microwave and toaster while drinking coffee and we all agreed that things are getting bad. I didn't mention anything to the washing machine as she puts a different spin on everything. Certainly not to the fridge as he is acting cold and distant. In the end the iron straightened me out as she said everything will be fine, no situation is too pressing. The vacuum was very unsympathetic... told me to just suck it up, but the fan was more optimistic and hoped it would all soon blow over! The toilet looked a bit flushed when I asked its opinion and didn't say anything but the door knob told me to get a grip. The front door said I was unhinged and so the curtains told me to ........yes, you guessed it ...pull myself together

I hope it made you smile😃😷



NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Thanks to Tim

Hi all, here is a little humor from Bob Hope..



ON TURNING 70

'I still chase women, but only downhill.'



ON TURNING 80

'That's the time of your life when even your birthday suit needs pressing.'



ON TURNING 90

'You know you're getting old when the candles cost more than the cake.'



ON TURNING 100

'I don't feel old. In fact,I don't feel anything until noon. Then it's time for my nap.'



ON GIVING UP HIS EARLY CAREER, BOXING

'I ruined my hands in the ring. The referee kept stepping on them.'



ON NEVER WINNING AN OSCAR

'Welcome to the Academy Awards, or, as it's called at my home, 'Passover.'



ON GOLF

'Golf is my profession. Show business is just to pay the green fees.'



ON PRESIDENTS

'I have performed for 12 presidents but entertained only six.'



ON WHY HE CHOSE SHOWBIZ FOR HIS CAREER

'When I was born, the doctor said to my mother, Congratulations, you have an eight pound ham.'



ON RECEIVING THE

CONGRESSIONAL GOLD MEDAL
'I feel very humble, but I think I have the strength of character to fight it.'



ON HIS FAMILY'S EARLY POVERTY

'Four of us slept in the one bed. When it got cold, mother threw on another brother.'



ON HIS SIX BROTHERS

'That's how I learned to dance. Waiting for the bathroom.'



ON HIS EARLY FAILURES

'I would not have had anything to eat if it wasn't for the stuff the audience threw at me'

ON GOING TO HEAVEN

'I've done benefits for ALL religions. I'd hate to blow the hereafter on a technicality.'



Give me a sense of humor Lord, give me the grace to see a joke, to get some humor out of life, and pass it on to other folk.

To the person receiving this, the grace to pass it on to others



NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN



Thanks to NHHC

As good news has become a scarce commodity at this time in our history, a World War II veteran who recently made a full recovery after being diagnosed with COVID-19 thinks otherwise. "I survived the foxholes of Guam, I can get through this coronavirus bulls–t," said Bill Kelly, according to his granddaughter Rose Etherington. Kelly, 95, began feeling ill on March 15 with a low-grade fever. His family took him to the hospital for treatment, and he subsequently tested positive for COVID-19. He returned home on March 30 and, according to his family, is doing well. During the war, Kelly served as a Seabee in the Pacific theater. He stormed the beaches of Guam with Marines during the amphibious assault of the island. "His dream is to see Americans supporting one another through this time," Etherington said. "He likes to see that old American fight again!" For more, read the article in Military Times.



NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN



More from FEDEX thanks to Rip

I can attest to this. Last week I flew to Amsterdam and we saw and heard from two other aircraft in the pattern. None over the Atlantic where if your nav equipment failed previously you just followed the contrails. We were almost full going over with returning Europeans 250 ish pax out of 302 seats. Our return leg was booked at 749. The actual load was 38. Computer systems are only as good as the data going in.



This weekend I flew as part of a special delivery flight from Detroit- Incheon- Shanghai and return with some ventilators. Seven pilots sent- 4 for the transpac legs and three of us for the China- Korea legs. Only saw one other airplane going into Shanghai. Despite that once loaded and ready to pushback ATC gave us a traditional 1 hour delay for "Slot Time" . WTF over? A little arm twisting and got out `15 minutes later.



Will fly back tomorrow from ICN as a passenger but have the entire nose compartment to myself.

Was not planning this 4 weeks ago as I contemplate retirement next year.

Cheers,

Rip Torn

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

A Bit of Philosophy for These Difficult Times ...

Thanks to Ben via Dutch …

Six Little Stories with Lots of Meanings
Once all the villagers decided to pray for rain. On the day of the prayer, all the people gathered, but only one boy came with an umbrella. That is faith.
When you throw babies in the air, they laugh because they know you will catch them. That is trust.
Every night as we go to bed without any assurance of being alive the next morning, but we still set the alarms to wake up. That is hope.
We plan big things for tomorrow in spite of zero knowledge of the future. That is confidence.
We see the world suffering, but still, we get married and have children. That is love.
On an old man's shirt was written, "I am not 80 years old; I am sweet 16 with 64 years of experience." That is attitude.



Have a happy day and live your life like these six stories. Remember, good friends are the rare jewels of life, difficult to find and impossible to replace.



NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN



Thanks to Gay

DEAR FRIENDS.AND FAMILY MEMBERS, I found this email enlightening forwarded by a friend in Illinois.

Subject: Please read this 4- minute article by an epidemiologist



" As an infectious disease epidemiologist, at this point I feel morally obligated to provide some information on what we are seeing from a transmission dynamic perspective and how they apply to the social distancing measures. Like any good scientist I have noticed two things that are either not being articulated or not present in the "literature" of social media. I have also relied on my much smarter infectious disease epidemiologist friends for peer review of this post; any edits are from that peer review.

Specifically, I want to make two aspects of these measures very clear and unambiguous.

First, we are in the beginning of this epidemic's trajectory. That means even with these distancing measures we will see cases and deaths continue to rise globally, nationally, and in our own communities in the coming weeks. This may lead some people to think that the social distancing measures are not working. They are. They may feel futile. They aren't. You will feel discouraged. You should. This is normal in chaos. But this is normal epidemic trajectory. Stay calm. This enemy that we are facing is very good at what it does; we are not failing. We need everyone to hold the line as the epidemic inevitably gets worse.

This is not my opinion ; this is the unforgiving math of epidemics for which I and my colleagues have dedicated our lives to understanding with great nuance, and this disease is no exception. I want to help the community brace for this impact. Stay strong and with solidarity knowing with absolute certainty that what you are doing is saving lives, even as people begin getting sick and dying. You may feel like giving in. Don't.

Second, although social distancing measures have been (at least temporarily) well-received, there is an obvious-but-overlooked phenomenon when considering groups (i.e. families) in transmission dynamics. While social distancing decreases contact with members of society, it typically increases your contacts with family members / very close friends. This small and obvious fact has surprisingly profound implications on disease transmission dynamics. Study after study demonstrates that even if there is only a little bit of connection between groups (i.e. social dinners, playdates/playgrounds, etc.), the epidemic isn't much different than if there was no measure in place. The same underlying fundamentals of disease transmission apply, and the result is that the community is left with all of the social and economic disruption but very little public health benefit.

You should perceive your entire family to function as a single individual unit; if one person puts themselves at risk, everyone in the unit is at risk. Seemingly small social chains get large and complex with alarming geometric speed. If your son visits his girlfriend, and you later sneak over for coffee with a neighbor, your neighbor is now connected to the infected office worker that your son's girlfriend's mother shook hands with. This sounds silly, it's not. This is not a joke or a hypothetical. We as epidemiologists see it borne out in the data time and time again and no one listens. Conversely, any break in that chain breaks disease transmission along that whole chain.

In contrast to hand-washing and other personal measures, social distancing measures are not about individuals, they are about societies working in unison. These measures also take a long time to see the results. It is hard (even for me) to conceptualize how on a population level, 'one quick little get together' can undermine the entire framework of a public health intervention, but it does. I promise you it does. I promise. I promise. I promise.

You can't cheat it. People are already itching to cheat on the social distancing precautions just a "little"- a playdate, a haircut, or picking up a needless item at the store, etc. From a transmission dynamics standpoint, this very quickly recreates a highly connected social network that undermines all of the work the community has done so far.

Until we get a viable vaccine this unprecedented outbreak will not be overcome in one grand, sweeping gesture, rather only by the collection of individual choices our community makes in the coming months. This virus is unforgiving to choices outside the rules.

My goal in writing this is to prevent communities from getting 'sucker-punched' by what the epidemiological community knows will happen in the coming weeks. It will be easy to be drawn to the idea that what we are doing isn't working and become paralyzed by fear, or to just'cheat' a little bit in the coming weeks. By knowing what to expect, and knowing the importance of maintaining these measures , my hope is to encourage continued community spirit, strategizing, and action to persevere in this time of uncertainty."

by Jonahan Smith. a lecturer in Epidemiology of Microbial Diseases and Global Health at Yale University School of Public Health. His research focuses on infectious disease transmission dynamics. He is an affiliate of the Yale Global Health Leadership Institute and founding director of Visual Epidemiology, a non-profit organization seeking to combine academic discourse with personal narratives.



I know you have received lots of information regarding the Corona virus, but this seems to make it very clear that continuing to follow the guidelines is very important.

Hope all is well with you and your loved ones.



This may be the most succinct and credible piece I have read to date. I recommend passing it on to your distribution lists. We are all going to get complacent as this drags on. I have started tracking the data from a credible web site for the last 6 days. I have done this for US and SC for both # of cases and number of deaths. Over two, 3-day periods both numbers have almost exactly doubled. This is a bit scary. Another week of data will tell a great deal………don't get complacent.



NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN







No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

TheList 7646 Friday September 4, 2026

The List 7646 Friday September 4, 2026 To  All, Good Friday morning September 4. Bubba Breakfast this morning...

4 MOST POPULAR POSTS IN THE LAST 7 DAYS